The main objectives of the SerIoT project include the following:
- Objective 1: To provide new means to understand the existing and emerging threats that are targeting the IoT based economy and the citizens’ network. To research and analyse how can Blockchain contribute to improving IoT solutions. Moreover, to understand how to solve the know issues o IoT and blockchain.
- Objective 2: To introduce the concept and provide the prototype implementation of (virtualized) and self-cognitive, IoT oriented honeypots, easily configurable so as to meet the standards of and adapt to any IoT platform across domains (e.g. embedded mobile devices, smart homes/cities, security & surveillance, etc.) that will be both integrally connected with the core network components and centrally controlled, as well as that will have a transparent function within the network’s total behaviour either it is active or passive.
- Objective 3: To deliver the design and implement the corresponding prototype of smart SDN routers for the dynamic (i) detection of suspicious/high risk paths, (ii) re-planning and (iii) re-scheduling of the routing paths of the transmitted information in IoT networks over secure and (per user- or per case-) preferable connections, supporting among others the interference of the human (i.e. semi-supervised approach), when needed.
- Objective 4: To introduce an extra, security dedicated, physical layer to the manufacturing of existing IoT platforms and de-vices so as to offer a secure-by-design architecture and monitoring capabilities for the sake of the network. To explore introduction of Blockchain as a security and privacy preserving layer for IoT. Along with improving the shortcomings of the existing efforts devoted to it.
- Objective 5: To optimize the information security in IoT networks in a holistic, cross-layered manner (i.e. IoT platforms and devices, Honeypots, fog nodes, SDN routers and operator’s controller).
- Objective 6: To utilize and develop the appropriate technologies, so as to implement an efficient and robust Decision Support System (DSS) on the controller’s side, where all data and metadata will be collected.
- Objective 7: To enhance the inter-connection of heterogeneous devices by speeding up the communication processes and by selecting the optimal routing path for the transmitted information in terms of both security and travelling time.
- Objective 8: To introduce a methodology and to provide a tool-chain for automatic generation of design-driven security features monitors and validators for IoT platforms and networks based on IoT architecture and behaviour model specifications.
- Objective 9: To validate the aforementioned actions in both large- and small-scale representative real-case scenarios involving heterogeneous IoT platforms & devices in an EU wide testbed covering thus, a wide variety of eminent domains.